Friday, July 29, 2011

Put it on your back

This month Lucky magazine is urging me to reconsider the backpack.

I remember back in the early 90s everyone was running around with teeny tiny little black leather backpacks perched on their spines. I didn't like them then and I have to confess it is going to take some convincing to get me to like them this time around.

But I do have my old suede backpack that I bought in Sumatra in 1992 (yikes!) and which has always housed my stack of travel photos and diaries. Don't know why I didn't ever move them to a more appropriate place, but I think I will now because I am going to get that backpack back into action.

Walking to the train and to work has made me realise that my bag is not comfortable enough or big enough to house all of the stuff I need for my day. I always take my lunch to work because I will not pay massive amounts of money to queue up for a limp sandwich when I can make my own at home! Hell, I'm already making three school and preschool lunches every morning so I might as well throw one more sandwich onto the pile. (Hummus, tomato, lettuce and sliced cucumber on multigrain bread is my current favourite. Chuck in a stick cheese, some yoghurt and an apple and presto - lunch!)

Anyway, I think my suede backpack is finally back into fashion! Who would have thought!

Not one to just believe one source I asked the Internet if indeed backpacks were back, and here is what it told me ...



Jude Law has one, and he's a stylish sort.

Baseball players with the Detroit Tigers for some inexplicable reason wear them. Not the look I am going for though.

Sarah Silverman attends the 'Super' Los Angeles Premiere at the Egyptian Theatre in March 21
with one on her back. Again, not the look for me.

OMG! It's getting worse - Deena Nicole Cortese filming on location for Jersey Shore has one!! This photo is not convincing me at all!

Admittedly, models did walk the runway at the General Idea Fall 2011 fashion show during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, NYC.


And at the S'nob De Noblesse show at 'Copenhagen Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2011 in Denmark.

So, backpacks - just for hiking? Or back fashionable again? I'm still sitting on the fence with this one but I am going to dust my one off for practical, not fashion reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't keep it to yourself - share your thoughts!